A Saudi woman rebels against the vice squad: “I’ll wear nail polish if I feel like it”

“You’re not the boss of me. You can’t forbid me from wearing nail polish.” This was a young woman’s cry of anger in a shopping mall in Riyad, the capital of Saudi Arabia, last week. She yelled at members of the religious vice squad who had ordered her to leave because she was sporting a manicure. The young woman filmed the scene on her mobile phone.

When the camera starts recording, she is already in the midst of a heated discussion with officers from the Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice (CPVPV), also known as the “muttawa.” They had ask her to leave because she is wearing nail polish, but also, as we learn later in the video, because she let several strands of her hair peek out from under her veil and because she is wearing lipstick. She tells them: “The government said there would no longer be any persecution [of women]. Your job is to give advice to people, then leave them be.” As she’s filming them, she warns the men that the video “will go up on Twitter and Facebook.”

A few moments later, she calls the police. She tells the police that she is being “harassed” by muttawas, and that she refuses to leave the mall because she’s afraid that they might follow her and run her over with their car. The police then try to calm everyone down.

The CPVPV later stated that they had filed a former complaint against the woman; according to the CPVPV, the woman broke the law by posting the video on the Internet.

An Internet user, who claims to have witnessed the incident, wrote on Twitter that the young woman was only wearing a transparent veil which meant her mouth was visible, and that she was wearing a lot of makeup and a tight-fitting dress. She added that the CPVPV officers had acted in a decent and courteous manner.

The CPVPV is composed of 3,500 ‘muttawas’ who work in collaboration with the state police. One of their tasks is to enforce the Islamic dress code. According to Sharia law, all women must wear veils and loose-fitting clothing that covers their arms and legs. Some Muslims also count nail polish among “ornaments that a woman is not allowing to show, except to her husband or one of her ‘mahârim’ [a person that a woman cannot have sexual relations with, such as, for example, her brother or step-father, and who generally serve as the woman’s legal tutor].
Contributors

"From the very beginning, the man disrespectfully shouts at her"

Eman al-Nafjan is an English professor living in Riyad. Her reflections, below, first appeared on her blog Saudiwoman.

On Twitter, many insist that it was not her nail polish that upset the CPVPV and that she was behaving immodestly and dressed suspiciously. However, if we look at the video, at the beginning she asks the CPVPV sheikh, “Is it because of the nail polish?” and he doesn’t deny it. Then later, when the police arrive, the sheikh claims that she wiped the nail polish off. She raises her hand and says “No,” that she didn’t. […]

Another issue that many harp on is that she shouldn’t have taped and disseminated a video of government employees doing their job. This is such a double-standard – it never came up when people filmed the minister of agriculture talking dismissively to a citizen […] or the Saudi ambassador to Egypt speaking disrespectfully to a woman. In these cases, the people taking the videos were hailed as a hero. And the whole thing about the sheikh being lenient and polite is shown on the video to be untrue. From the very beginning, he disrespectfully shouts at her […].

The CPVPV are portrayed as sacred and the embodiment of how Islam was at the time of the Prophet. However, everything I’ve ever read shows otherwise. The way a CPVPV sheikh struts around malls with a fancy cloak on his shoulders and two subordinates flanking him, enjoying the atmosphere of fear their entrance causes and sometimes going as far as terrorizing people, is not the way I’ve read that the Prophet behaved.

"Many women at the time of the Prophet were empowered and did not cover their faces"

For example, just a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to leave a restaurant during prayer time. I simply needed to exit the restaurant but the management refused, out of fear of the CPVPV. The manager, who was obviously traumatized, started shouting that he would be called an animal and spend another night in jail for opening the door to just let me out during prayer time.

[…] There’s a hadith [a saying in the Koran] which says that one day, toward the end of the Prophet’s life, he was with another man when a beautiful woman came towards them to ask the Prophet a question. The Prophet’s companion obviously liked the way the woman looked because he was staring at her. The Prophet did not harass the woman or demand that she cover her face or leave the premises, as the CPVPV did last Tuesday [at the mall]. He simply turned his companion’s face away. […] Unfortunately, Saudis are rarely exposed to hadiths that prove that many women at the time of the Prophet were empowered and did not cover their faces.

Post written with FRANCE 24 journalist Ségolène Malterre.

Comments

Reply to comment | The Observers

Unfortunately, while turmeric is a super safe herb,
taking too much everyday does have adverse effects. Weight Control: Capsaicin speeds up metabolism
which helps the body to burn more calories faster. And remember to
consult your physician if you have cancer and want to make some changes.

Reply to comment | The FRANCE 24 Observers

You really make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I in finding
this matter to be really something which I believe I might by no
means understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely huge for me.
I am having a look forward for your next put up, I'll attempt to get the grasp of it!

Reply to comment | The FRANCE 24 Observers

You could be asking why this advantage of night vision spectacles actually matters, but it is
one of the major reasons night vision shades are becoming increasingly well-liked for private, govt and commercial use.
For some folks owning a night vision binocular is serious business.
Eye fatigue can occur with evening vision equipment that's employed for extended
intervals, much like extended periods of computer system
use could produce eye strain.

Reply to comment | The Observers

Hi friends, nice article and nice arguments commented at this place, I am actually enjoying by these.

Reply to comment | The FRANCE 24 Observers

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really loved surfing around your weblog posts.
After all I will be subscribing to your feed
and I am hoping you write once more very soon!

Eman! I like your some of

Eman!

I like your some of articles since I'm very interested in Saudi Arabia!

I think it was you who did post some lines a couple of months ago. You were highlighting the fact that some women desire more freedom in Saudi Arabia while at the same time I think your intention was to convey a critical stance towards veils and implications in Arabian and European society.

first of all: good luck! hope you'll raise awareness of the dimensions that affect some women. conflicts women face in Saudi society and other societies should be underscored.

none the less, this particular women appears to be quite aggressive (in her fear?). is there any evidence that these "muttawa" kill women?

in addition, if you quote the hadith, you'll be aware of the fact that some hadiths are not very favourable for women. (I don't quote since I don't like to inspire negative perceptions.)

it would be interesting to know whether there are more elements supporting women or subjugating women!
would be a pleasure to read something on this topic and the very perceptions in Saudi Arabia. :)

peace!

The future of Europe?

Is that the future of Europe, if we don't play attention?

hdErdUulRaULh

19:51 AFP A resident of a town in the Jabal al-Gharbi area, about 230km sotsewhut of the capital, tells AFP that Gaddafi forces fired Grad rockets today at the town of Nalut, and that they have taken the town of Kekla.To the western world, Misirata is the last Anti-gaddfi held town ..Of course we know it's not, but what can you do to dispel that impression, without jeapordizing the lives of whole towns . Our media is purposefully presenting it in that light for some strange reason. That includes Al Jezeera these days. I find the most unbiased coverage comes from the LA times. You can't do rallys in a lot of towns, how about a heavy graffiti campaign Thruogh any town you can, but most especially along reporter routes in Tripoli, and if you can do it in Sirte, that would be outstanding ..Above all else, you don't want them to protray this as East v. West ..Put a face and a reason on a pureblood Gaddafi supporter. Are they indebted, enchained, all family , or just stupid. Who are the people who can look at the results of his mismanagement and still support him as a leader. They are as mindboggling as a fullblown Obama supporter.

Reply to comment | The FRANCE 24 Observers

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble
with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no data backup.
Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

It is the result of extreme

It is the result of extreme conservatism. Anti abortion and anti contraception is the beginning