Who burned Napoleon's Cairo library?

The Institut d'Egypte after the fire.

The cost of the Arab Spring in Egypt cannot be counted only in terms of human lives – cultural landmarks have paid a heavy price too. The Institut d’Egypte, one of Cairo’s most precious scholarly archives, was burned down on Saturday. Since then, protesters and the country's military rulers have been trading accusations of arson.

French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte founded the Institut d’Egypte in 1789 after his invasion of Egypt. The building currently housing the Institut was built in the early 20th century, and contained over 200,000 rare books, manuscripts and illustrated documents. It was set alight with Molotov cocktails overnight on December 16. Following the fire, the army issued a statement accusing “drugged and rioting” protesters of being behind the crime.

The Institut d'Egypte on Saturday, after the fire. This video was filmed by our Observer.
Contributors

“Militiamen were throwing rocks at the protesters from the roof of the building”

Sherif Magd El Din is an engineering student in Cairo. He rushed to the Institut d’Egypte on Saturday while the building was still smouldering.

I went to the Institut d’Egypte on Saturday afternoon after I heard what happened. I discovered a building that was completely charred and burnt. There were two groups of protesters there, some from Tahrir Square and some from the avenue of the Assembly [where a new protest camp has been erected, not far from Tahrir square]. The latter were mainly Ultras [hard-core football supporters who have joined forces with protesters] and relatives of killed demonstrators.

The Institut d’Egypte is just a short walk away from Tahrir Square. Personally, I have some doubts about the official version of events, which accuses protesters of throwing Molotov cocktails into the building. First of all, there are many administrative buildings in the neighbourhood, such as the police station, that constitute a much more logical target. Why would they set fire to a cultural institution?

On photos that were taken while the building was still burning, you can see “baltagias” [pro-government militiamen] throwing stones at the protesters from the roof. If authorities are so worried about protecting our cultural heritage, why weren’t the men busy putting out the fire instead?

Although at this point there is no proof directly linking the authorities to the arson, the army is responsible for slowing down fire-fighting efforts [Twitter messages during the fire denounced the fact that soldiers allegedly blocked fire fighters from reaching the scene]. As for the protesters’ so-called violence: when I arrived at the scene, the protesters I saw there were calm. Violence only flared when security forces arrived and set up a barricade in front of the institute.”
Post written with FRANCE 24 journalist Sarra Grira.

Comments

Reply to comment | The FRANCE 24 Observers

I savour, cause I discovered exactly what I was looking for.
You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice
day. Bye

Reply to comment | The FRANCE 24 Observers

Hi there to every one, it's genuinely a nice for me to
pay a quick visit this site, it contains useful Information.

Reply to comment | The Observers

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.
I will be sure to bookmark your blog and
will come back at some point. I want to encourage yourself
to continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!

Reply to comment | The Observers

I seriously love your site.. Excellent colors
& theme. Did you make this amazing site yourself?
Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my own personal site and want to know where you got this from or just what the theme is named. Appreciate it!

Reply to comment | The Observers

Ѕimplу ωant to say your artіclе is as
astοunding. Τhe clarіty for your
post iѕ just сοol and i can supposе you are a pгofessіοnal in thiѕ ѕubject.

Wеll wіth youг permissіon lеt me to grab your feed tо kеep updated with drawing close poѕt.
Thankѕ 1,000,000 and please continue thе gratifying ωοгk.

Reply to comment | The Observers

It's going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this enormous article to improve my know-how.

What about the artifacts?

Were they able to save the rare artifacts from destruction? http://www.jackrabbit-media.com

Look for the MOTIVES to understand what happened

Whoever DESPISES such a non-Islamic institutions burned it. In Egypt as was the case in Iran, there are many non-Islamic or even counter-Islamic institutions and voices. This is just the beginning. If the Islamists take over, there will be a long period of CLEANSING the culture from UNISLAMIC virtues.

Reply to comment | The Observers

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on.
You have performed an impressive process and our whole group shall be thankful to you.

Reply to comment | The Observers

Hi superb website! Does running a blog like this require a great deal of work?
I've no expertise in programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, should you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic but I just needed to ask. Many thanks!